Pages

Friday 4 March 2016

Kaptara, Volume 1: Fear Not, Tiny Alien Review (Chip Zdarsky, Kagan McLeod)


Chip Zdarsky and Kagan McLeod’s Kaptara is a supposed sci-fi “comedy” that’s about as funny as watching someone die of ebola. 

The series is a parody of 80s cartoons like Masters of the Universe and Thundercats though I don’t know who’s been waiting for anything like that. An astronaut called Keith crash-lands on the alien planet Kaptara after being sucked into a wormhole on his way to Mars. On Kaptara he meets character-types from the aforementioned titles as well as Smurfs parodies.

Keith is quite the cunt. A whiny, lazy protagonist, he bumbles about the book not doing or caring about anything or anyone but himself. He is completely annoying especially when he tries being funny and I despised him. The other characters are one-dimensional nobodies who never rise above their derivations. The men are generally all buffoons while the women are all strong and competent. Why? I guess “comedy” but if you’re laughing at that you’re the cheapest date. 

Gun to my head, I couldn’t tell you a single joke from this comic to illustrate how unfunny it is because I didn’t see any. There’s a half-hearted attempt at a plot when the villain decides to invade Earth that gets totally undermined by Zdarsky constantly taking the piss out of everything. “Ooh, the planet’s in danger, honk honk fart.” Well why bother with the drama at all then? 

I’m not a fan of Kagan McLeod’s art either which is a bit like Kyle Baker’s awful limp linework with warped human figures and washed-out colours. It’s ugly to look at though I suppose it fits the stunningly awful script. 

I can’t believe this is from the same guy who gave us Sex Criminals and Howard the Duck. I think this is the worst comic I’ve read this year. Fuck off with your shite jokes, Chip Zdarsky, you embarrassing clown. 

Do not read Craptara.

Kaptara, Volume 1: Fear Not, Tiny Alien

No comments:

Post a Comment